Saturday, April 17, 2010

Everything is something in itself


One and three chairs by Joseph Kosuth

Some of you may have seen this conceptual piece, its basically made up of a real chair, a photo of the chair and the definition of a chair next to it. The question is, what is real here? We may be able to single out the photo easily, but what about the definition and the object itself?

The answer is that the definition is real; Without a definition, one would never know what an actual chair is. But does that make the chair unreal, for it is just an object without the definition?



Which brings me to a question Sarah asked me yesterday about how we fit into our names or our names fit us when we were born. Its like how you look at somebody and say, "she has the emma face". Most of the time, they're not true but when the person tells you their name you'll immediately go "ohyeah, her name DOES suit her".

What are we trying to mean when we say a name suits a person? Is it because we associate a certain name (eg. john) with a certain image/face? Or is it that we've seen a few "John"s, find something common in their faces so whichever person with that feature would look like a "John" to us? Or...? (all opinions are welcome)

Can we apply the same theory to objects?




I think Kosuth's pretty interesting. Mona Hatoum, Francis Bacon and Lucian Freud might help me with the development of my boards too.

Conceptual art and minimalism interests me quite a bit, perhaps I should go that direction and see what I can do with expressionistic styles. They suit me well because its art combined with perplexing thoughts. All I gotta do is to find a style of my own to put my thoughts in visual form. I think I love art enough to want to create more pieces in the future besides my final coursework. I'm so confused.


The internet's annoying. I was all ready to start on my prep board when the internet died on me and its now taking FOREVER to load images/pages. How am I supposed to draw now?! I spent the whole of today in school again, with KJ joining sarah and I in the afternoon. Lets just say I've got lots more work to do. At least I'm more prepared for prep boards! :]

No comments: